Saturday, August 23, 2014

Weeks 2 and 3!

I am quite bad, I've realized, at posting on this blog once a week. I have now been in Finland for three weeks. Maybe I will try posting smaller posts more often...

Anyway, these past weeks have been a bit colder than my first week here. It has rained a lot as well. Last Saturday, I went to my first wedding ever! You see, I, for seventeen years, I had never been to a wedding. And now I have been to a wedding. It would be really interesting to compare the Finnish wedding to an American wedding, but alas, I have no experience with which to compare the Finnish wedding to. The wedding was a really cool experience. It was in a quaint church and the reception was in the couple's family farmhouse. The decorations at the reception were very nice and they were elegantly natural. The cake at the wedding was a very traditional Finnish wedding cake with berries.




Throughout the weekend, I met a lot of people. A lot of my host family's extended family, both at the wedding and in the town where the wedding was. I met my host mom's mom and her partner, and my host mom's little sister. At the wedding, I met a lot of my host mom's cousins, one of whom lives in Germany and speaks English with a very British accent. The day after the wedding, I met my host mom's little brother and his dog, Milo. Milo reminded me of my puppy Lucy, except he was a little bit smaller. On the way back home, we stopped to eat at a traditional American restaurant, McDonald's. The menu here differs slightly from the menu in the US. Apparently they have a veggie burger on the menu. And a salad with pesto. I got a McFlurry but, rather than m&m's, which one would expect in an American McFlurry, it has Smarties--the chocolate ones, not the American ones. And I was reunited with my one true love: French Fries (even if they were McDonald's and not parmesan-truffle fries).




As I mentioned above, it has been raining quite a bit. This week, I realized a very stark difference between commuting to school by car and by bicycle. And that is commuting in the rain. When riding a bike, the rain touches you. And it makes you get a bit wet.

In my English classes, I haven't know the correct answer a few times on tests, class exercises, etc. because I am not British. I am American. And there are a few differences in the English that is spoken in the States and the English that is spoken in England--and Australia, where our text book is from.

This morning, I made an 'American' breakfast. I made pancakes and scrambled eggs with cheese and bacon, even though I do not eat bacon. My host mom and brothers made apple juice with the apples from the tree in the back yard. It was really yummy. For dinner, we made pizzas which were also very good! It is getting to be nighttime now and we are watching ice hockey. I don't quite understand the game, though this is the first game I've seen. I don't understand football either, and I've been watching that for several years.


1 comment:

  1. Nice! But I am now convinced that you are obsessed with food! I want to see your school, downtown street scenes, what you see as you ride your bike to school, the countryside, the train station, the front elevation of the house you are calling, "home". Enough of the food already . . . It makes me hungry! Pretty picture of you and Kaisa. She looks to be about 16!

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete